As promised in last week’s post, today, I’m sharing the state of my office before I started re-decorating it. I cannot stress enough how embarrassing it is to share pictures of your space knowing full well that they’re a hot mess. Then again, I spent 8 years in this office as seen here and not once did I feel like it needed a major overhaul. Which it did. Go. Figure.
I’m exercising a tremendous amount of self control by sharing the before pics without giving you a sneak peek of the current state of affaiirs. However, I decided to share the makeover little by little because that’s exactly how I’ve been doing it. I’ve been making itty bitty changes every week, as opposed to an intense but quick makeover. The reasons are pretty straight forward. First, I need to get my work done before I can even think of doing anything decor-wise and second, since I know next to nothing about interior decorating I have a harder time visualizing what I want to do with each area. By taking things slow, I give myself time to really think things through and avoid impulsive decisions.
Ok. So here’s the deal with my office:
- Desk: My oh my, that desk. It belonged to my mother, who is a retired lawyer. She gave it to me about 5 years ago and it is just amazing. The only problem is I haven’t been using it the way it was meant to be used… a.k.a it’s NOT FACING FORWARD. Face Palm. The good news is it’s an easy fix. Just get 6 men to move it for you because the thing weights a bajillion pounds. Seriously. It took SIX men a couple of hours to move the darn thing to a different position. That’s how heavy it is and that’s also why it sat facing the wrong way for 5 years.
- Don Quijote/ Quixote: It’s a classic that my mom gave me after she retired. I love it but it doesn’t fit the look I’m going for.
- Bachelor’s degree, Juris Doctor and License to practice law- a.k.a. the ego wall. I know I need to re-think they’re positioning and the frames. I’m also debating whether or not to keep the BA’s degree up or not. We’ll see.
- Natasha from Violet Tinder Geode prints (the two watercolor prints): Love, love, love these. I’m going to re-position them so they actually make sense on the wall. She’s an amazing artist who you should definitely check out by the way. Especially her Instagram.
- Pin Board: I was SURE I wanted to get rid of it, until I had the idea to spray paint the frame instead. You can see a teeny tiny piece of it in the File Cabinet Makeover from last week. I love how it turned out. Stay tuned for that DIY.
- File Cabinet: Everything I needed to say about it was said in the previous post. If you haven’t read it, here it is.
- Area Rug: You can’t really tell in the pictures, but I have two small rugs in the office. I had NO idea just how big of a difference a rug can make. So I got rid of both of them and purchased a new BIG one. I love the new rug so, so, sooo much. Can’t wait to share it here soon.
- Storage Space: What storage space? There’s barely any. My dad always told me that I needed to have a spot for everything, otherwise I would always have a mess; boy was he right! I’m currently on the lookout for a solution to my storage problem. I’m tired of not having a clean, tidy office and that’s due in large part to not having where to put my everyday items. Any ideas?? I’m thinking about any of the following: Floating shelves, console table with storage space or a book case.
- Color palette: That cream color on the walls is the color that all of the offices have. I really, really, really want to paint it white, but I’m feeling a little self conscious about being the ONLY office with a different color. Then again, I know deep down that the space would look AMAZING with white walls. I still haven’t decided whether to go for it or not.
You can see a teeny tiny corner of the two rugs I mentioned, in the picture above and the picture below.
The two shoe stands in the picture above are long gone, but there’s a story behind them. A big part of my job is pricing all of the beads that come in, and I needed a space to put them without cluttering my floor. Looking at it now, I wish I had gotten rid of them sooner.
About that humongous cabinet in the picture above. It’s where we store a bunch of beads and I was planning on keeping it until, Jessica, a co-worker asked me to please get it out of the office :,) hahaha. Her intensity made me think twice about it and I’m now debating whether or not to keep it in the office or get it out of here and use the space for a little nook. Hmm. Decisions, decisions.